Saturday, December 3, 2011

Connectivism





Leanne Suttles: Personal Learning Network
   

  • Learning and knowledge rests in diversity of opinions.
  • Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.
  • Learning may reside in non-human appliances.
  • Capacity to know more is more critical than what is currently known
  • Nurturing and maintaining connections is needed to facilitate continual learning.
  • Ability to see connections between fields, ideas, and concepts is a core skill.
  • Currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all connectivist learning activities.
  • Decision-making is it a learning process. Choosing what to learn and the meaning of incoming information is seen through the lens of a shifting reality. While there is a right answer now, it may be wrong tomorrow due to alterations in the information climate affecting the decision. (Siemens, 2005)
I am on a Connectivism journey to create a Personal Learning Network (PLN) that allows me to learn and organize my learning in a manageable way. In the age of technology, learning can seem a little overwhelming, but by creating a PLN, I can organize and acquire learning within and outside of myself through networking and digital tools.  My Connectivism Mind Map provides a visual image of my PLN.
Learning through Connectivism can be acquired through networking.  Networking involves processing and filtering information within us and outside of us.  With the increase and availability of information, one cannot be expected to grasp all of it inside ones self. 
When I look at my network, it is about surrounding me with people who share the same goals and ambitions. By building relationships with like minded individuals, I have created a network where learning, problem solving, and support can take place as I navigate my way through the increase in knowledge and understanding.  (Jones, 2010)

Networking lets me share and exchange knowledge, connect with friends and colleagues, and work within social networks to connect with others in the Instructional Design learning community. By networking with others, I remain on the cutting edge of technology and the application of learning theories.
George Siemens, creator of Connectivism, states that “learning may reside in non-human appliances”. (Siemens, 2005)  Digital tools allow me to manage learning resources in an orderly manner.  I personally rely on Google Reader to organize Blogs and RSS Feeds.   Bookmarks allow me to keep track of online resources for future reference. Social Networks such as Facebook & LinkedIn allow me to connect with other like minded learners and Instructional Designers through connections and online communities.  Scholarly Articles, Search Engines such as Google, ERIC (Education Resources Information Center), and the Walden University eLibrary allow me to keep up on the latest research and application of learning theories within the Instructional Design community.   
Looking back at the central view of Connectivism, my Personal Learning Network supports the diverse opinions in learning and knowledge. It connects specialized nodes of information sources, acknowledges that “learning may reside in non-human appliances”, and increases my capacity to know more.  My PLN nurtures and maintains the fact that connections are needed to continue learning. It allows me to see the connections between areas, ideas, and concepts.  A PLN allows me to keep current on learning activities and connect the new information with previously acquired knowledge.  I can see that decision-making is a learning process in itself by choosing what and how the meaning of new information influences the changing reality around me. (Cormier, 2011)


Works Cited

Cormier, D. (2011, November 10). About: Description of Connectivism. Retrieved December 2, 2011, from Connectivism: A Learning Theory for Today's Learner: http://www.connectivism.ca/about.html
Jones, J. (2010, June 28). JimiJones.com. Retrieved December 2, 2011, from 5 Benefits of Networking: http://jimijones.com/blogging/5-benefits-of-networking/
Siemens, G. (2005, April 5). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. Retrieved December 2, 2011, from elearningspace: http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leanne
    Nice post. My network too, provides me with connections with people who share with me same goals and interests.
    ERIC was not in my list, but it sure looks very useful.
    Dalia

    ReplyDelete