Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fitting the Pieces Together

 Now that you have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, how has your view on how you learn changed?

When asked about my learning style during the first week of class, I described my learning as predominantly cognitive with constructivism following close behind. As we have looked at a variety of learning styles, I would now describe myself as an Adult Learner who enjoys working through Connectivism.

What have you learned about the various learning theories and learning styles over the past weeks that can further explain your own personal learning preferences?

Malcolm Knowles, the father of Andragogy (“the art and science of helping adults learn”), described the adult learner as someone who:

  • Has an independent self-concept and who can direct his or her own learning
  • Has accumulated a reservoir of life experiences that is a rich resource for learning
  • Has learning needs closely related to changing social roles
  • Is problem-centered and interested in immediate application of knowledge
  • Is motivated to learn by internal rather than external factors (Merriam, 2001, p.5) (Conlan, 2003)

As an Adult Learner, I believe these five attributes describe my learning style. When Howard Gardner introduced the concept of Multiple Intelligence, he stated, “People have a unique blend of intelligences.” (Smith, 2002, 2008)  I believe this is also true of learning styles. I describe myself as an Adult Learner, but when tasks are presented in various formats, learning takes place in through behaviorism, cognitivisim, social learning, constructivism, and connectivism. Bill Kerr said it best, “_isms are important but use them as a filter, not as a blinker.” (Kerr, 2007)

  
What role does technology play in your learning (i.e., as a way to search for information, to record information, to create, etc.)?

Technology is a major influence and part of my learning. Connectivism would best describe my application of learning. “Connectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations. New information is continually being acquired and the ability to draw distinctions between important and unimportant information is vital. Also critical is the ability to recognize when new information alters the landscape based on decisions made yesterday” (Siemens, 2005, para. 24). (Davis, 2008)

I use technology to research and organize new information.

  • Google Reader allows me to organize and view the use and application of technology within the fields of education and instructional design.
  • Social networking sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn offer me the opportunity to interact with other learners, to share and exchange information, teaching techniques, and various platforms and methods for delivering instruction.
  • Diigo is used to organize my bookmarks into categories for easy access as I research articles, journals, blogs, and various sites concerning education and instructional design.
  • Blogger allows me share information I have acquired and hopefully help others as they navigate their way through instructional design.
  • MindMapping offers a vehicle to problem solve through collective intelligence.
  • Applications on my iPad allow me to see and have easy access to all my information.

 

 
Works Cited
Conlan, J. G. (2003). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved November 29, 2011, from Adult Learning: http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Adult_Learning#Biography_-_Malcolm_Knowles
Davis, C. E.-B. (2008). Connectivism. Retrieved 11 28, 2011, from Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology: http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism
Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker. Retrieved November 15, 2011, from Bill Kerr: http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
Smith, M. K. (2002, 2008). Howard Gardner and multiple intelligences'. Retrieved 12 18, 2011, from the encyclopedia of informal education: http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm

 

No comments:

Post a Comment